ONLY A WEEK UNTIL OUR RALLIES. PLEASE GO TO WWW.CITIZENSFORSAFETECHNOLOGY.ORG AND PRINT OFF A FEW FLYERS TO PUT IN PROMINENT PLACES IN YOUR AREA. HELP SPREAD THE WORD!! AND GET SOME GOOD SIGNS. LET’S GET READY TO MAKE SOME NOISE!!
1) Announcement of rally in Vancouver:
2) More groups organizing in Illinois. This article notes the cost per meter in California at $220 – ours is $555.
3) A reason for the Smart Meter Protest Day in Montreal
4) $$meters cause huge increases in bills in So Africa. There definitely is something wrong with these things – every place many people see increases in consumption that cannot be explained.
5) Someone in Vernon has been experiencing short outages (just a few seconds but long enough for her appliances to start blinking) of electricity around midnight on Wed. or Thurs. every few weeks. Has anyone else had this happen?
Sent: June 3, 2014 5:50 PM
To: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Cc: Erika Hamilton; Dennis and Sharon Noble; firstname.lastname@example.org; John Horgan; email@example.com
Subject: electricity meters at XXXXX
Sent: May 29, 2014 11:31 PM
Subject: electricity meters at XXXX
June 03, 2014
RE electricity meters in Vancouver BC at XXXX
Mr. Greg Reimer
PO Box 9530 Stn Terminal
Vancouver, BC V6B 4G8
Dear Mr. Reimer:
I am the owner of the lands and premises on which electricity is supplied to houses located at street numbers XXXXXX Vancouver BC, Canada, account numbers XXXXXXXXXXX
The premises located at xxxs tenanted to xxxx. I live at xxx
As a putative member of the Class Action Suit against BC Hydro – BCSC Action No. S135590 – I will communicate my position again in response to your letter(s) advising me that my meters at both my locations are to be exchanged for another ‘old’ meter due to an expired seal.
My position is this:
1) I will not give free and clear access to your agent on my property to either of my premises aforesaid for the purpose of exchanging my meters for another ‘old’ meter WITHOUT a prior appointment. Thank you for arranging said time and day with me. Until such a time as when a mutual date is established when I can be in attendance during said service, no attempt shall be made to trespass with the intent of changing my meters and subsequent “failed installation” fees charged to my account.
2) The existing meters will be replaced with another new ones or in new condition, clean and without defect, which have been tested and certified as measuring accurately in accordance with the requirement of Measurement Canada’s Act and Regulations, and accompanied by documentation verifying this information. BC Hydro has stated they are “under no obligation to repair, rebuild, re-verify and re-seal any ‘legacy’ meters that have been removed from service….”.Therefore I am under no obligation by PRIVATE right to accept old meters that have not been repaired, rebuilt, re-verified, and re-sealed (as per Measurement Canada’s ‘Criteria for Accreditation’).
3) The replacement meters must be mechanical analogue for mechanical analogue – neither a hybrid ‘trojan’ analogue that can accommodate wireless components nor a digital meter will be accepted.
Thank you for your moral and lawful cooperation in this matter.
HARD COPY TO FOLLOW IN MAIL
Subject: FW: BC Hydro Meters
Copy of BC Hydro correspondence re meter exchange concerns
Subject: RE: BC Hydro Meters
Smart Metering Specialist Team
Smart Metering Program
Phone: 1 800 409 8199
Re: Additional questions and concerns
For Service at: XXXXX
Thank you for sending me the expiry date of my meter on my rental premises Account number xxx tenanted by xxx. I am now taking advantage of your kind offer to answer my additional questions and concerns.
I still would like a copy of the certification history for my meter as Measurement Canada requires BC Hydro to keep a record of this and I am entitled to know this information.
From Measurement Canada: Utilities are legally required to maintain information on their meters in service including the date the meter was certified and the expiry date.
I will require a mutually agreeable appointment for meter exchange as I am exercising my right to have a qualified electrician attend this exchange to protect the safety of my household.
I will only allow a licensed electrician who can provide me with valid confirmation of liability insurance to oversee any work on my meter for any reason.
I am requiring this on the grounds that under BC Hydro Tariff Section 97, “Liability”, BC Hydro has declared they have no responsibility for any harm or injury done by its employees or agents, whether done through negligence or willful misconduct.
Being aware of this lack of responsibility to my home and family, I cannot allow the risk of an unqualified, uninsured person tampering with my property, perhaps damaging my meter base and potentially risking the safety of my household.
I am assured the legal right to life, liberty and security at my own home under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms which BC Hydro Tariff does not supercede.
My CSA meter base which I own is not to be worked on under load and therefore the power will have to be turned off.
According to CSA, the rules that cover the meter bases say that the base “shall not be used as load-breaking device.” (e.g. exchange should not be done without turning the power off). How can BC Hydro ignore this danger?
Access to my meter will be granted only when I am assured of my safety.
If you think this is not necessary then just view the disaster caused by this meter exchange by hydro trained non-electrician workers a short while ago in Regina:
I also require assurance that the replacement meter does not have a transmitter or antenna or sending device of any kind.
Thank you for your kind attention so that this meter exchange can proceed in a mutually acceptable way by Dec. 2014 as required. Should your installer fail to attend at the agreed upon time we will have to reschedule as the electrician will not be able to wait indefinitely and we will not be responsible for a fail to install charge.
i take the same position as set out above for xxxx for my living premises located at xxxx account number xxxx. I require the information respecting the expiry date on the seal of the meter at this location and all the other details as i set out above re xxx